Thursday, March 13, 2014

On Mindfulness


There are times when it seems that I am caught up in the currents of life which seem to pull me off my feet and drag me under.  They buffet and sweep me along, and it's easy to feel helpless, the victim of something outside of myself.  I find I have to remind myself that it is not the conditions of life that determine my well being, but how I hold myself as I go through life.  Mindfulness is key to moving through life.  Biblically it is framed as being in the world, but not of it.   Here is a prayer that I was recently introduced to at Quan Am Nam Hai Monastery in Panama City, Florida that frames mindfulness.  

This particular call to worship frames the early morning practice that starts each day:

The dharma body is bringing the morning light.
In concentration my heart is at peace.
A half smile is formed on my lips.
This is a new day and I vow to go through it in mindfulness.
The sun of wisdom has risen in every direction.
Noble Sangha bring your mind into meditation.
Namo Shakyamuni Buddha ya.

I recently awoke from a dream.  It was a lovely dream, but a dream none the less.  The dream was so strong that I awoke with a real sense of loss and sadness.  I realized that I have a real attachment to dreaming.  When I awoke there were caring hearts to greet me and loving arms to hug me and comfort me.  My life is so amazingly blessed.  I count my blessings this morning and then release them to the world as I say this blessing:

For all of the peoples and the nations of the earth, may not even the names disease, famine, war and suffering, be heard, but rather may their moral conduct, merit, wealth, and prosperity increase, and may supreme good fortune and well being always arise for them.  

I offer this blessing to all, equally.  I wish you well.

With Love

No comments:

Post a Comment