Sunday, November 17, 2013

I Shall Stay Until the Wind Changes



Having spent a good portion of my life raising a child, I have discovered that quite a few of my favorite quotes come from children's movies and books.  One of those favorite quotes is from Mary Poppins.  One night as she is tucking Michael and Jane into bed for the evening, the children ask her how long she is going to stay, and she replies, "I shall stay until the wind changes."

Change is a given.  Each moment there is change happening all around us and within us.  From the moment we are born, to the moment that we die, we are dealing with change.  I have seen the effects of change on others and on myself, and I believe that I have made an honest attempt to learn from what I see.

The wind has changed in my life, and like the character in Mary Poppins, I have moved on to the next dimension of my calling.

I like that word "calling" as it appropriately embraces the idea that something is beckoning, inviting - a door has opened that frames something familiar but yet still unrealized.  Recently the wind has changed, a doorway has opened and I have stepped through it.

Some change is forceful, brutal, and uncontrollably chaotic.  This was NOT one of those times.  This change built over a period of a couple of years, taking shape, growing in strength - it was titillating - like the smell of something lovely every now and then drifting into my frame of reference, pulling my attention towards its familiar yet unidentifiable scent.  At the same time that this change was developing, my existing world was becoming more and more draining, and less and less supportive.

What I discovered is that "entitlement" is a slippery slope that leads to hierarchical disenfranchisement.  Working with people who have a sense of entitlement can sap the life out of you, and, even more disheartening, it is contagious.  That is not my calling.

So here I am.  In my new home, working at a new job and feeling HUGE relief as I snuggle up to my calling. In the end it has become so simple - I am the light and the spirit so that people can realize that they too are the light and the spirit, through reflective play in the infinite field of what is.

Wishing you all much Love and many blessings.

1 comment:

  1. This was a delight to read! Thank you so much for sharing it and best wishes as you continue to wherever the wind takes you.

    ReplyDelete